The European Union (EU) Delegation in Turkmenistan on Wednesday held a press conference dedicated to the presentation of the photobook “Ashgabat.Fragments of History” on the occasion of the Ashgabat Day.
The EU Ambassador to Turkmenistan Diego Ruiz Alonso in his opening remarks said the photobook is a present from the EU Delegation to the residents of Ashgabat on the occasion of the 140th anniversary of the city celebrated in 2021.
He added that the EU Delegation would like to expand its effort in preservation and depiction of the Turkmen culture in the widest way possible.
The main purpose of the photobook is to capture the values and history of the city.
Diplomatic ties between Turkmenistan and the EU
During the conference, the Ambassador said next year will mark 30 years since Turkmenistan and the EU established diplomatic relations in 1993.
On this occasion, the EU Delegation announced the photography contest “Turkmenistan: Reflecting the Life”. The submissions can include photography reflecting the Turkmen culture, history, art, daily life and traditions of the people of Turkmenistan. The contest will run until January 31, 2023.
Planned activities of the EU Delegation in Turkmenistan for the second half of 2022
During the press conference, Ambassador Diego Ruiz Alonso also presented the main planned activities of the EU Delegation for the second half of 2022:
- June – Announcement of the short film festival
- July – August preparation and launch of the Waste management information campaign
- August – training for journalists on disinformation, publication and presentation of the EU-Turkmenistan partnership publication, go to school action
- September – eco action in the park area
- September – December waste management campaign in Ashgabat, master class on short films production
- October – Joint Committee, Human Rights Dialogue, Energy Conference, Education Conference, EU Culture Week
- November – Eco action with participation of the general public
- December – Intellectual Game Chto? Gde? Kogda?, human rights and democracy day, event for civil society
Diego Ruiz Alonso also said the EU is ready to support Turkmenistan's accession to the World Trade Organization.