In accordance with the Law of Turkmenistan on Food Security, the state food reserve is being created in order to provide the population with vital food and food raw materials, as well as to minimize the risks of a shortage of food and food raw materials.
The state food reserve is formed on the basis of:
- state reserve food fund;
- stocks of agricultural, fish products, food raw materials and foodstuffs purchased as part of the placement of a state order;
- circulating stocks of agricultural, fish products, food raw materials and foodstuffs.
The State Food Reserve is intended for:
- providing the population of Turkmenistan with food, as well as providing organizations of the food and processing industry with agricultural raw materials in case of emergency;
- exerting regulatory influence on the food market in the event of disproportions between supply and demand for agricultural and fish products and food in the retail trade and organizations of the food and processing industry;
- Support for organizations of the food and processing industry to stabilize their activities in the event of temporary shortages in the supply of essential raw materials in the event of an imbalance between supply and demand for them;
- providing humanitarian aid.
Source: Law of Turkmenistan on Food Security